In China, the affordability of a second child is under question. Using the example of a young couple in China, it takes at least of a third of the annual household income to raise a child of two years, compared to a fifth of the annual household income for families in the US.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences:
Splash out (on) / Splurge on (informal) spend money freely on
- Chen used to be happy to splash out on skincare and cosmetic products for herself.
- Every Christmas, Chen would splurge on gifts for the family.
Annual income – yearly income
- With Chen’s current annual income, she will not be able to afford a second child.
- James is earning an annual income of US$50,000.
Middle class n. group of people between upper class and lower class. (segmented by income)
Adj. characteristics of middle class, attaching importance to convention and material comfort.
- Ikea furnitures are targeted at the middle class who earn between USD20,000 to USD30,000 in annual income.
- Toyota Camry is considered a good middle-class sedan for families.